SOME INTERESTING COMING ATTRACTIONS
SICA BRINGS BACK SAMPLER SERIES
SICA is bringing back the Sampler Series of art and craft workshops starting this month. The popular series is designed to give enrollees a chance to work with regional artists using techniques and materials they may not normally have the opportunity to try. The series is five two-hour sessions, each featuring a different teaching artist.
Participants will just get a taste of each project, but they will go home after each session with a finished piece of artwork. “It is a great opportunity for us to find out if there is any interest in offering more extensive classes in these techniques,” says Warren Baumgart Jr., executive director. And it’s something fun and creative to do on boring winter evenings.
The series will start on Tuesday, January 24, from 7 to 9 pm, and run every Tuesday evening for five weeks.
The cost is $50 members/$60 non-members. All supplies are included. Workshops start at 7 pm held at the SICA, 2001 N. Ewing St., in Seymour.
Reservations are required. To reserve your spot please call 812-522-2278 or email email@example.com. You may also register at SICA Tuesday through Friday noon to 5 pm, and Saturday 11 am to 3 pm.
One-year SICA memberships are also available at $25 for individuals and $50 for a family and include discounts for future classes and events at the Center.
- Jan. 24 Traditional Watercolor Basics with Kay Fox: Kay adds other media to her watercolor paints and has amazing results. The workshop will teach you to use transparent watercolor techniques with mixed media to create colorful, texture backgrounds for paper crafts, collage art, and handmade books.
- Jan. 31 Glass Etching with Debra Richard: As a professional sign maker, Debra’s glass etching work can be seen all around Columbus. Debra will help you design and create simple stencils on pieces of glass dishware. Then Debra will sandblast etch the designs into the glass for delicate, and beautifully finished pieces.
- Feb. 7 Glass Painting with Darnell Dukes: You may have seen Darnell Dukes’ beautifully hand-painted wine glasses at the Seymour Farmers’ Market. Darnell will help you paint a pair of wine glasses of your own — a perfect gift for your Valentine.
- Feb. 14 Hand-crafted Chainmail Jewelry with Amanda Neal: Amanda will teach you to weave your own chainmail and then turn it into a piece of jewelry.
- Feb 21 Basket Weaving with Peggy Johnson Boyd: Peggy is a master basket maker from Crawfordsville and has taught at basket conventions in Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois. Peggy will teach you to make a catch-all coaster basket.